On my continuous search for optimum health and to defeat psoriasis, I found out that I had 8 silver fillings, a couple of them for about 30 years, some of them for over 20 years and one or two more recent. What you are about to read in the following posts on this subject, it’s just another fact that we cannot wait until the correspondent authorities make official the toxicity and dangers of certain products, like it happened with cigarettes, as it might be too late.
Silver fillings, called that way due to their silver colour finish, have been used in dentistry for decades. They are composed by more than 50% mercury, around 30% silver and other metals like tin, zinc etc… so, in reality they are mercury amalgams.
Mercury is the most, non radioactive, neurotoxic metal known to nature, and its most toxic form is vapour. The saying “mad as as hatter”, comes from the 18th & 19th century, when mercury was used in hat manufacturing. Due to the prolonged exposure to mercury vapours, workers would develop a variety of physical and mental ailments, including tremors, speech problems, emotional instability and hallucinations. Although by the early 20th century most factories had stopped using mercury, it was not totally eradicated until the 1940s.
It’s curious still to hear from dentistry official organisations that mercury in amalgams is not toxic nor dangerous, and once it’s set, it becomes inert, it doesn’t come off, but if it did, it’d be in such a small amounts that it would pose no danger for the patient. Nevertheless, Scandinavian countries banned the use of mercury fillings years ago. Norway in 2008 was the first, then Sweden and Denmark followed suit. Germany and France have restricted their use and in May 2017, the European Union approved to ban the use of mercury amalgams, in children under 15 and pregnant women, starting the 1st of July 2018. The EU also requests every country to come up with a plan to reduce the use of mercury fillings by 2019 (1), and to eradicate completely the usage of mercury amalgams by 2030.
Already in 1985, The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) conducted some studies to determine whether it was possible that mercury would come off the fillings. They concluded that it is not only possible but it is happening constantly (2). The World Health Organisation (WHO) acknowledge in 1991 that the main source of mercury exposure to humans are our amalgam fillings, with 17 micrograms/day as an average, and seafood coming second with 2 micrograms a day (probably in 2018 vaccines are closing up the gap with the amalgam fillings). The WHO also stated in 1991 that it should be a concern to every woman that want to have children, as mercury is highly damaging to fetuses (3).
In the year 2000, Dr Roger Eichman and Dr. David Kennedy presented their work in the following video that shows how mercury comes off the fillings each time we chew food, drink hot beverages or brush our teeth. This mercury vapour is inhaled and through our lungs passes to the rest of the body.
But, what are the effects of the mercury that scapes the fillings in our health? The answer to this question next…